Trinity United Church Elmira is seeking a creative and talented music director for an enthusiastic and evolving congregation. We are looking for an energetic, experienced individual to lead our choir, praise band, and other ensembles, while providing the musical direction for our contemporary and traditional services and developing the fullest use of music in the life and work of our church. You will work alongside program staff and have professional expertise in at least one instrument, with very good pianist skills. This is a part-time salaried position (10-15 hrs/wk), starting September 3, 2017.
Specific responsibilities of the successful candidate
- Assume the primary responsibility for music leadership in the life of Trinity United Church Elmira, including management of the activities of music ensembles within the church, coordination between groups and individuals on music matters.
- Effectively direct choir, praise band, and other ensembles and have primary responsibility for organizing and filing of music.
- Engage the congregation using a variety of contemporary, traditional and world music.
- Work as an integral member of the Ministry Team, attending staff and Worship/Faith Formation Team meetings, and supporting the vision and mission of the congregation in the wider community.
- Encourage the development of musical gifts in congregational members, while providing leadership and expertise.
- Play the piano and / or organ for our contemporary and traditional Sunday services and any other specially scheduled services.
- Conduct the Choir, Praise Band, and soloists at all scheduled rehearsals and services of worship, and from time to time in special presentations such as concerts
- Work with the Minister to select suitable hymns, anthems, solos and responses for regular and special services of worship.
- Encourage and incorporate the use of a variety of instruments and instrumentalists within services where deemed appropriate
- Work with the Finance and Property Team to administer the music budget, which includes:
- Overseeing the regular maintenance of the organ and pianos of the church
- Arranging the maintenance and purchase of music for all choirs and ensembles
- Engage and arrange remuneration for other instrumentalists when they are required for services/events
- Engage and arrange remuneration for a substitute music director for services/events that the Music Director is unable to attend
- Play for weddings and funerals as able.
Skills and Attributes:
- Experience working within a church or religious environment
- Familiarity and comfort with the United Church of Canada’s theology
- Sensitivity to inclusive language and a welcoming of diversity
- Able to work both collaboratively and independently
- Able to bring a high level of motivation and passion
- Able to work with a broad range of ages
Applications for this position should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org with a reference of Music Director in the subject of the message.