Invitation to Lead
The 40th General Council 2009 will meet August 9th to 15th, 2009 at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, British Columbia. The Agenda and Planning Committee invites expressions of interest to provide music leadership at the Council.
The spirit of the council depends on the lived experience of the 600 people who will sing the stories of our faith in the midst of discerning where God is calling the United Church. Music and singing are integral to the work of prayer, discernment, dialogue, and listening for the voice of the Spirit. If your passion is to lead singing, provide diverse musical accompaniment and love the United Church, please let us know!
The committee’s expectations for music leadership are:
· knowledge of United Church theology and sensitivity to language that is inclusive
· ability to lead culturally diverse music
· ability to lead in singing older/traditional songs/hymns—a balance of new and old songs/hymns
· ability to sense the mood of the Council and suggest/offer appropriate musical reflections
· available for the entire meeting, including commons/plenary time, commissions, morning and evening worship, other evening events as imagined
· flexibility for others to join in music leadership
· facilitate projection of lyrics
· attentive to music copyright issues and able to provide sources of music used
· ability to work collaboratively with the Worship Committee Coordinator, and the Chairperson of the Agenda and Planning Committee
· ability to work with a diverse group of worship leaders
· readability and sing-ability of songs, send in a demo or MP3
Please send your expression of interest and a demo or MP3 of you (your group), a biography of the music leadership team, and your hopes and expectations for an honorarium. Submit your expressions of interest to the address below by May 28th. The agenda and planning committee will review these expressions of interest and make a decision by June 15, 2008. If you have questions, please contact Janet McDonald. Thank you for considering this opportunity.
General Council Minister, Planning Processes
The United Church of Canada
3250 Bloor Street West Suite 300
Toronto, Ontario M8X 2Y4