Attention all musicians and music lovers!
Music United is sponsoring a supportive, learning event for church musicians at Sunnybrook United in Red Deer in September because we have heard comments like the following:
“I have no tenors in my choir…”
“Oh yeah? I have no choir!”
“Oh yeah? I have nobody to play!”
“Oh yeah? I have nothing to play!” …and it gets worse!
Music United has held two successful Music…Matters events — in Brandon, MB in July, 2012 and last year, in Riverview, NB in September, following a format that included a Hymn Festival (open to the public) on Friday evening, a series of workshops (registration required) on the Saturday, and participation in worship with the host congregation on the Sunday morning. Somewhere in there is our Music United Annual General Meeting, social time, and even a jam session!
Here’s the schedule of events for 2014 (or download the Music Matters Program for sharing with friends and colleagues):
Friday, Sept 5
- 6:00pm Registration (for Saturday workshops)
- 7:00pm Ode To Joyfulness a Hymn Singing Festival (open to all)
Saturday, Sept 6
- 8:30am Gathering (with a few songs)
- 9:00am Session 1: Worship planning using Gathering (Tammy-Jo Mortensen)
- 10:00am Break (bathrooms, move to next session)
- 10:15am Session 2: The Pianist as Organist (Fred Graham)
- 11:15am Break
- 11:30am Troubleshooting for Music Leaders (Deer Park team)
- 12:30pm Lunch (on-site for all attendees)
- 1:30pm Session 3: Drumming in worship (Carol Zacharias)
- 2:30pm Break
- 2:45pm Session 4: Song-writing (Bruce Harding)
- 3:45pm Break
- 4:00pm Session 5: Anthem Reading Session (Terry Head)
- 5:00pm Dinner (on your own to explore the dining opportunities of Red Deer)
- 7:00pm Music United – AGM
- 9:00pm Social time, location TBA – plenty of stimulating conversation and jamming opportunity
Sunday, Sept 7
- 10:00 am Participation by Music United in worship at Sunnybrook United Church
Full workshop descriptions will be available soon on this website, and registration is available on our Music Matters eventbrite page.
Our hope is that many of you can attend in early September before your choir and/or teaching schedules become too hectic. Registration cost is a very affordable $50 ($40 if registered before the Early Bird Registration date of August 25, 2014) and includes lunch on Saturday. Please join us as we make a joyful noise, meet some new friends, exchange ideas, and share our passion. See you at Sunnybrook!